6/03/2008

Terroni

I'm trying to curate all my pictures from Toronto and arrange them in a cohesive order - here is the first batch.



Terroni
720 Queen St. W.

So Toronto is closed on Sunday nights, it's the strangest thing. We walked 15 blocks on a search for something to eat/do on Queen St W and nothing was open, except for one or two bars, the streets were deserted except for a man asleep inside a store sitting on a tricycle, and a set of evil clowns. After a failed attempt to explore the sights and sounds of Parkdale (cos everything was closed) we decided to catch a cab to a place we knew would be open, the Drake Hotel, a trendy boutique hotel in my favorite part of T.O. Cab drops us off and I'm trying to figure out why the hotel restaurant looks so dark... well... you guessed it... it was closed. So we decide to give up and head home and eat at whatever shitty falafel/McDonalds/bubbletea establishment that would be open.

When suddenly I notice a line of people peaking out a door, look through the windows and see this restaurant packed with people. No wonder the city was untenanted - every single one of its inhabitants was hanging out here. It was almost 1030 pm at this point and I thought that if this place is open on Sunday night in a city where nothing is, it is full of people, and they serve Italian, I HAD to eat there. After a short wait for a table and brisk service the food arrives. It looks like this:






And it tasted like the BEST Italian food I have EVER EVER had. This is the food you read about on food magazines and hear about on TV, this perfect Italian food that is simple yet impossibly flavorful, the kind that would keep you coming back every single day, the kind you never forget.

I was honestly shocked that something that had so few ingredients could taste this way, that tomato sauce this flavorful actually existed.

I knew that upon coming home I wouldn't be able to experience this again, cos trust me, I've been looking for a place like this, so before leaving the next day I picked up lunch there, and it was just as fantastic.

It was close to noon and no other patrons there yet and they were very hard at work in the kitchen/prep area

No comments: