7/10/2008

Burgers and Fries




Good Stuff Eatery

303 Pennsylvania Ave SE
(between S 3rd St & S 4th St)
Washington, DC 20003
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill/Southeast
(202) 543-8222


Somehow I missed the opening of Good Stuff Eatery, and judging by the line out the door a week after it, it was probably a good thing. My expectations, as you can expect, were pretty high. They claim, after all, to do a burger better than anyone.




First, the looks.
The two story space with a double height entrance has a "farmhouse sleek" feel to it. White walls, white brick, white washed floors, distressed zinc counter-tops. Dark, sleek wood panels lined the upstairs perimeter wall and a long dark wooden communal table sits by the windows. And guess what kind of chairs surround all the little tables? Emeco 1006 Navy Chairs!!!! OK OK, maybe I haven't verified 100% that it's them, but they look so much like them. Featherweight.Indestructible.Aluminum. Great choice. Although if they actually ARE the Emeco chairs, then I should say great investment at $395 apiece.

Now, the eats.
These are the burgers I tasted, and NO, I didn't eat both:

SPIKE’S 5 NAPKIN
Dairy Fresh Cheese, Applewood Bacon
A Farm Fresh Fried Egg On A
Brioche Bun With Good Stuff Sauce


FARMHOUSE CHEESE
Dairy Fresh American Cheese, Tomatoes, Onion,
Lettuce, Pickles With Good Stuff Sauce


+ French Fries and Onion Rings

So first, don't expect a 2" thick patty, you won't get it--they're thin but delicious, you can really taste the great quality meat, and it was cooked perfectly, no overdone meat here. The bacon was exceptional, the egg was cooked well--lots of yummy yolk to dip into, the bun was buttery, warm and fresh, the tomatoes were ripe and beautiful, and the good stuff sauce was a perfect addition to both burgers. Since I am a lover of simple food, the Farmhouse Cheeseburger was exactly what I want in a burger, no pretensions, no extraneous ingredients. I will be craving it very very soon.



The onion rings were sweet and crispy, I wish the French fries had been larger, not the serving, but the actual potatoes - I like being able to put lots of them in my mouth :) Which reminds me of the dipping sauce bar - Someone told me as we arrived about the 4 types of mayonnaise. FOUR TYPES OF MAYO!!! FOR MY FRENCH FRIES!!! YAAAAAAY. Old Bay Mayo, Sriracha mayo, Chipotle mayo and Mango mayo. I know this mayo-fries marriage is not everyone's thing, but to me nothing goes better with a FF than creamy homemade mayo. My favorite was the mango, but I loved all of them, and ate lots :)

2 comments:

Ms. Spinach said...

oh my gosh, yum.

must. go. immediately!

Anonymous said...

Good stuffs indeed. Hrrrmm..