7/13/2008

City Views


Donovan House

(between N Green Ct & N L St)
Washington, DC 20005
1155 14th St NW
(202) 737-1200

DC has an anemic collection of modern hotels. Actually until a few months ago I don't even consider that we had any. Some hotels will tell you that they are "ultra-modern," "modern & sophisticated." Don't believe them, any modern design expert will tell you that they're not - I consider them tacky and nauseating and "hotel-like." Maybe the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown is modern, and Hotel Palomar's rooms and entrance are passable modernism. But pale, very frighteningly, in comparison to other US hotels (The Standard LA, The Delano Miami). Alas, there is one hotel in DC that is worthy of the design term - The Donovan House Hotel.


I knew the roof top pool opened a few days ago and I went by to take a look.


Future Roof Top Bar Area


I also saw one of their suites


And the lobby



So I was very impressed. One of my friends who went with me- a discriminating design snob - was impressed. We hope to be even more impressed when their Todd English restaurant is finished and when their rooftop bar opens to the public. I'm assuming we (the public) will need some sort of special key card to get up there, TPWP hopes to be lucky enough to get one, we will share :)

No comments: