4/09/2008

Duck Duck Fries

My Yelp Review for Hudson
2030 M St NW
(between N 20th St & N 21st St)
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 872-8700

I went to Hudson for a late dinner (almost 11 pm) after going to the ballet. The restaurant was pretty full with patrons having drinks and finishing dinner, it was loud, there was a DJ playing club-y music, the atmosphere was a little hectic, so I told myself not to set my expectations too high for dinner, I knew that it was, after all, 11 pm, the very end of their dinner service and the kitchen was probably on its last leg. But I was really hungry so I ended up ordering a pretty ambitious meal anyway.

Duck Confit - arugula & parmesan salad, huckleberry sauce, truffle fries. The plate arrived and it looked pretty average... until I took one French fry and put it in my mouth.... Mmmmm.... they hadn't mentioned on the menu it was fried in duck grease..... Oh my God.... HEAVEN..... I LOVE LOVE LOVE French fries, I could eat a plate full of them, and these fries my friends were the BEST I've ever had. I know what you're thinking, "-Who cares, it's a fry, what about the duck?" .... Well, I took a bite out of that and jumped from my French fry cloud onto another higher one. The chef actually had my vote when I saw that he didn't serve the duck breast, but the thigh instead, because I love dark meat, and crispy skin with flesh falling off the bones goes amazingly with fries. I also had a great bottle of Pinot Noir, but unfortunately I don't remember the name because I was too focused on feeling panic that I was running out of fries and I wouldn't' know what to do when that tragic moment arrived.

A great food critic once wrote that the best meals are the ones that you can't get out of your mind, the ones that pop into your brain two weeks later when you're hungry, the ones that you crave on Sunday afternoons, or Monday mornings. I craved that duck dish, the next morning, the next day, the day after that, and two weeks later, as a matter of fact... I'm craving it right now....

Hats off, to a kitchen with great stamina, can't wait to go back.

No comments: