4/22/2008

Post Modern Brasserie

Poste Moderne Brasserie

555 8th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 783-6060

Category: French
Neighborhood: Penn Quarter








My new favorite BRUNCH destination. Ok Ok, maybe I'm biased, I LOVE Doughnuts, and as soon as I read "House Made Chocolate Ganache Doughnuts" I was ready to move into a cabinet in the kitchen and stuff my face with them for the rest of my life. I'll tell you about the rapturous doughnut experience, but first the main eats:


EGGS HUSSARDE crisp potato skins, poached eggs, merchand de vin sauce. It was delicious; the crispy potato skins are perfect to balance the impeccably poached eggs and delicious sauce (white wine, egg yolks in case you were wondering). The dish also has a couple strips of bacon on top, which really completed the flavor profile.

CROQUE MADAME mornay sauce, sunny side up farm egg, pomme frites. I don't know where they got the bread they used for this croquet madame, but it tasted like a buttery, creamy, crispy cloud. I would've liked a little more mornay sauce, but it was still delicious. The dish also has ham and it's great.

HOUSE MADE DOUGHNUTS chocolate ganache, lemon curd, sweet potato mousse. Ok. Let me get a hold of myself... I'm so excited just thinking about them. My pupils are dilated, my heart is beating fast, my tongue is delirious, it feels like Christmas morning =) wait, I'm Spanish, we don't have Christmas morning, Christmas Eve then, it feels like Christmas Eve when you see that heavenly plate of fried dough in front of you. It comes with a little mug filled with Hot Chocolate for you to dip your doughnuts into, it's so cute, and when you think it can't get any better, you break the doughnut in half and realize that........... Oh my God, it DOES get better!!! It's filled with stuff!!!! Creamy wonderful stuff, like chocolate ganache, lemon curd and sweet potato mousse (which tastes like pumpkin, my second favorite food). And alas, you find yourself in a state of ecstasy in the middle of the restaurant, not knowing how you'll be able to go on after this experience, how you'll be able to live and reside in a world of pastries, that after this one, will be sub par... at best.

1 comment:

Liz Lizo said...

I have to try this place...I went to the thrift store you recommended on veirs mill rd, md and omg I found and bought so many things. Got distracted and didn't even look for a blazer, oh well maybe next time. Gratzie.