8/14/2008

Meridian Hill Park


My favorite thing about living in the city is discovering perfect magical places whose existence seems almost impossible among crowded streets and tall buildings. I remember the first time I discovered Meridian Hill Park - I had driven by it countless times, but its location on a high hill deemed it invisible from the streets and the magic that lives up there was hidden and unimaginable. . . It was a crisp, cerulean skied Winter morning, around 35F, I walked up the little windy path up into the park, and 15 feet into it I felt transported into a strange place far from the city. I walked up to a clearing and saw this magnificent thirteen basin cascade fountain that flowed down the hill into a reflecting pool which mirrored the sky and looked impossibly blue. It was freezing cold, but I didn't notice and spent over 1 hour walking around the park discovering all its special little places - the shady row of trees on the top tier that feels like a small forest, the isolated space home to squirrels by the Buchanan statue, the perfect picnic tree, and so so many more.

I know I keep saying this, but you should really go - my pictures don't do it justice.
















You can guess that this is the perfect place to have a picnic, and now that the temperature is not 95F is the ideal time to have one there.

I had this picnic on an unbelievable Spring day earlier this year - and ignore the bottle of wine cos alcoholic beverages are hmmmm not permitted in the park :) oops

No comments: