4/22/2009

TPWP at Felix Rey

TPWP recently had the exciting opportunity to meet the lovely duo behind Felix Rey - we also checked out their upcoming collection and chatted at their studio in NYC.

Lily and Sulaika are as charming and dynamic as their bags - one more whimsical and bubbly, the other a chic snake lover. The idea to design bags was sparked during their very first meeting, in which Lily carried a bag she hand-made... and the rest is history. Their first collection was immediately picked up by Barneys and loved by the public. To me it's very easy to see why - their accessories have a unique artistic appeal and an accessible price-point.




I also asked them to pick a couple of their favorites from their last collections, a very tough choice if you ask me, but alas, these are their picks:







The Mesi Clutch in Ikat Print: This bag is also one of my favorites, the colors are so vibrant and versatile.
















The Sadie Ruffle Tote: I put this bag around my shoulder and could not believe the weightlessness, it also comes it hot pink and tan.












My first Felix Rey bag was a baby blue metal mesh clutch from one of their early collections - this material has become an ever-present component of their designs - and is one of my favorite details of their bags. I asked them where the idea to print designs and create bags from this material came from - It was Sulaika's love of snakes and her childhood collection of metal mesh whose surface reminded her of the skin of said reptilian animal. The three bags on the right are the Love Clutches and Way to My Heart Wallet from Fall '09.


Here are some shots of their studio:


Lily and I chatting about Washington DC's charms (she graduated from Georgetown University).


Sulaika showing me their Leopard Heart Wool Scarf.


Reminiscing about their first collections.

Here are some other shots we took of items from their Fall/Winter 09 Collection:


Black Santos Snake Clutch


Amethyst snake clutch and gold metal mesh bag.


Camila clutches and Tuxedo tote


Emma zip top and Dotty cosmetic cases

I bet you really want one of the bags now.... well you're in luck - TPWP readers will get a special 20% discount from 4/23 until 5/8 using code FRTPWP20 at the Felix Rey online store.

AND we will be doing a Felix Rey giveaway next week, make sure you check back, you won't want to miss it!!!

No comments: