5/11/2009

Locolat

One of my favorite things about living in the city is having easy accessibility to charming little places to grab bites to eat - that way I don't ever need to get my coffee from Starbucks, or my sandwiches from Subway. Instead I go to Locolat - my favorite cafe in the city. The more I visit it, the more things I find to love. The chocolates are a given of course, but Chef Niel Pieferoen also makes the most perfect and exciting waffles. Last time I was there he had just created a new one: Potato waffle with grilled asparagus and smoked salmon - it's incredible. The waffle itself is made from mashed potatoes cooked on a waffle grill, the smoked salmon is as always superb, as well as the asparagus. It's my new favorite item on the menu, next to the waffle with fruit compote and the ham and cheese sandwich.

Chef Niel is a genius at creating light fare, the quality of the products and composition of the dishes are extraordinary. I feel so lucky that in DC we have someone of his caliber concocting 5-star eats and we can have them at coffee shop prices.


Potato waffle with smoked salmon and asparagus.



Waffle with fruit compote

2 comments:

Panda Head said...

gorgeous pictures.

Veronica said...

Holy smokes. Those look delish. Note to self: Check out this place immediately.