6/05/2009

Maple and plaid

I ate at Blue Ridge Restaurant on its second day of official business and after getting past some expected service glitches, I had some excellent Southern/Mid-Atlantic fare. I sat on the back patio, a lovely spot, reminiscent of your stylish aunt's ranch-house in Texas, complete with rustic farm tables, industrial lights and fountain.

We tried a large sampling of starters, courtesy of the attentive managers.

First up the artisinal charcuterie - 16 month Kentucky prosciutto, house made chicken liver mousse and smoked ham cracklings. The prosciutto was excellent, incredibly light and slightly sweet; the mousse was my favorite - full of flavor, slightly nutty and delicious.



We also had the grilled calamari with basil and frisee - It was cooked perfectly, and the pesto tasted minutes fresh.


One of my other favorite starters was a hush-puppy fritter with a delicious mushroom-flavored sauce.


For my entree I had the rustic pork meatloaf with buttermilk mashed potatoes - the meatloaf itself was flavorful and well-seasoned, but it was a bit dry for my taste, next time I'll try one of the fish dishes.



For desserts I tried the root-beer float and the strawberry-rhubarb pie.




I'm excited to try their brunch, they serve donuts :)

2 comments:

Style Redux said...

Oh wow, this all looks delicious. I'll have to go here sometime soon! I'm dying to try the charcuterie and the grilled calamari.

Liz Lizo said...

Love Blue Ridge!