6/12/2009

The sky, the ocean, the salt.


I have this gorgeous and stunningly bright turquoise planter on my terrace (picture on left) that sits next to a pair or bright white Richard Schultz 1966 lounge chairs. The contrasting white and turquoise between them is my favorite color combination. Every year when Summer comes around I unconsciously start buying anything resembling that addictive greenish cyan.

The color revives so many childhood memories, I'm not sure why, I grew up in a landlocked country and didn't see the ocean until I was 13 years old. Maybe it was the impossibly bright skies that I grew up staring at - they seemed so much bluer than our skies here, and as I child I never remember them being grey or sad - only penetratingly blue with slow lingering silky white clouds.


So many memories... the colors in the items below take me back there.






Clockwise from the top:
Fortuny Pillow- Sabina Danenberg Antiques, via 1stdibs
Empire Chandelier- Marjorie Skouras Design
Leather Chair- Horchow
Large Handled Urn- Arte Italica, also deeply discounted right now at One Kings Lane
Campaign Style Armchair- Sabina Danenberg Antiques, via 1stdibs
Book Boxes- Wisteria