6/22/2008

All-American

Enology Wine Bar

(between N Lowell St & N Macomb St)
Washington, DC 20016
3238 Wisconsin Ave NW
(202) 362-0362
www.enologydc.com

Mon-Thu, Sun 4:00 p.m.-12:30 a.m.
Fri-Sat 4:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m



Does anyone not love wine? Quite possible, but I haven't met the person, actually I knew one girl in college who didn't like wine, but she also didn't like shopping so we won't count her as a human. It's really surprising to me that until recently DC didn't have many wine bars, so I was very excited to try the newest one. Unfortunately I was misled by the address and thought it was in Georgetown, so I was completely overdressed, like, there-were- girls- there- in-flip-flops-and-cargo-shorts-and-I'm-wearing-a-Donna-Karan-Collection-dress type of overdressed, but that's my own fault, and my dress was awesome, and so were my shoes (they have little fish on them) I DIGRESSSSSS!!!

Enology serves only domestic wines, beers and spirits, which is interesting, I won't criticize it, I might have chosen to include a couple countries who invented the main beverage I am serving, but I didn't let it bias me. Despite their continentally confined wine list the choices were extensive including a few great Reserve wines. I chose to try a couple flights of white wines, the ones which my server indicated might be closest to a Pinot Grigio. These were the wines:



"Truly Eclectic" Flight of White Wine
Arneis Seghesio Russian River Valley, California
Rkatsiteli, dr. konstantin frank, Finger Lakes, New York, 2006
Albarino Verdad, Santa Inez Valley, California

"White Bordeaux" Flight of White Wine
Sauvignon blanc, groth, Napa Valley, California, 2007
Sémillon, l’ecole no 41, Columbia Valley, Washington, 2006
St. supéry “virtú,” Napa Valley, California, 2006


I had three cheeses, my favorite was the tarentaise, and my only complaint was that the bread slices they served it with could have been fresher and crispier and I would've loved some nuts.
Cato corner “hooligan” Colchester, Connecticut
Thistle hill “tarentaise” North Pomfret, Vermont
Typress grove “purple haze” Arcata, California



I also had a flatbread, the Puget Sound: creme fraiche, oak smoked atlantic samon, sliced red onion, snipped chive. It was tasty, but I wish again that the bread had been crispier and that the red onion be a fresh slice, not sauteed, nor pickled.

The interior of Enology is better than most other DC wine bars, neutral colors throughout, dark wood accents and an under-light marble top bar, they could've done the typical DC anxious interior, with 100 different materials and colors and woods, so I it was nice to see something somewhat composed. It definitely lent a much more relaxed, cooler ambiance.


No comments: