7/30/2008

Fall in love

I live across the street from a magical place.

And I wish nobody knew about it except for me. Quite the opposite, not only do other people know about it, it's a world-renowned National Gallery. Luckily though, and mysteriously, I find days where I am almost the only person there.

In the impossible quietness of this space, surrounded by four walls of some of the finest 19th-century Greek Revival architecture, a soaring sky of undulating glass above my head, soft monumental marble planters, invisible water floors, extravagant green ficus and 16 black olive trees. I go there and almost never speak, or read, or do anything else - I just let it consume me - the space - and I drink a glass of wine every time.

I could stay there forever.

You should go. My pictures don't do it justice.

The Kogod Courtyard designed by the brilliant Norman Foster at The Reynolds Center home to the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery at at Eighth and F Streets in Washington DC.












2 comments:

Ms. Spinach said...

wow, that's fantastic. i've never been, but now it's on my must-do list!

onyx feather said...

What a great front yard!
You've inspired me to go ASAP.

p.s.
I live across the street from (DRUM ROLL): a highway.

Nowhere near as sexy.