8/19/2008

Outside and for Brunch only

Cafe Saint-Ex

1847 14th Street NW
(between N Swann St & N T St)
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 265-7839
www.saint-ex.com

I don't like routine, it makes me nervous, but somehow I eat brunch at the same place almost every weekend - what? - you don't call that routine? oh OK, I feel better.
Cafe Saint Ex is an American Bistro that has my favorite casual outdoor patio in the city - it reminds me a little of the neighborhood near the Bowery Hotel in NYC, edgy, fringy, but with plenty of friendly people walking their dogs.

I actually don't absolutely love the food there, but I love sitting on their patio so much that I forgive the chef's mistakes. Small mistakes, but they can't be overlooked by a foodie (me). They include but are not limited to- cheap box orange juice @ brunch, pathetic tea selection (Lipton only), inconsistent quality of food prep (overcooked eggs) and sub-par sausage.

If you want to eat there for brunch (I don't like their dinner menu) you should stick to these items:

Fried Green Tomato Benedict
poached eggs, english muffin, tomato hollandaise
Chicken Salad Sandwich poached chicken, cucumbers, red onion.
French Toast
Muffin baked fresh daily.





Oh yeah, the other reason I continue my patronage of this eat place is our mutual intolerance of the below :)





2 comments:

Marissa said...

I've only been to brunch at St. Ex once, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't order the orange juice or anything with eggs. I had the Monte Cristo and was pleasantly surprised. The portion was gigantic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great info about brunch at Cafe Saint-Ex. I agree with you about their food, and I love the chalkboard sign too. Too Shy to Stop actually had dinner at Cafe Saint-Ex on Saturday evening and posted a review today. You can read it here: http://tooshytostop.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/vintage-planes-and-provisions-at-cafe-saint-ex/.