8/28/2008

Sugar and Cake


Hello Cupcake


1351 Connecticut Ave NW
(at N N St)
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 861-2253
www.hellocupcakeonline.com




Following the trend of other major cities, DC has decided to do cupcakes. I don't really care that we're 8 years late, I'm just excited to have more sweet things to eat. After a couple failed attempts to try the cupcakes (and photograph them) I finally made it in...




The Looks: The interior space of the store screams "DESSERT" in a very tasteful way actually. The seamless look of white marble starts with the counter-tops and onto the little round marble top tables in the eating area, white simple walls and ceilings are accented with hot pink boxes, glass chandeliers and a pink wavy "frosting" counter front.



The Cakes: I love their cake, just the right mix of dense and fluffy, a little spongy give but enough substance to remind you this isn't healthy. They were consistently moist and flavorful, my favorite was the chocolate, and I never like chocolate cake. The only one I didn't love was the carrot cake, which was dry, even dryer than it's inherently supposed to be. The little garnishings on the cupcakes were flavorful and cute while providing the little extra flavor oomph that puts the cupcake deliciousness over the top.

The Frosting: I have mixed feelings about it. The buttercream frostings were heaven. The coffee and peanut butter flavors were both perfectly balanced, bold enough for you to taste them, but without overpowering the moist, rich chocolate cupcake.

The cream cheese frostings were a bit too sweet for me, I like buttery frosting and this one developed a "sugar" layer after sitting for a little while - a sign to me that there's too much sugar - and you really couldn't feel the smoothness or taste anything savory in the whipped cream cheese- the sugar content overwhelmed it. But if you have a sweeter tooth than mine you might think of it as a plus


I tried:
Peanut Butter Blossom: Chocolate cupcake, peanut butter frosting, chocolate kiss.

Pick-Me-Up: Chocolate cupcake, coffee buttercream frosting, chocolate covered espresso bean.

24 Carrot: Carrot cupcake, vanilla cream cheese frosting

You Tart:Lemon cupcake, lemon cream cheese frosting, yellow sugar sprinkles







1 comment:

Jane said...

I have a cupcake obsession! lol