2/28/2009

To paradise and back


I just got back from a long trip to my newest favorite city - San Juan, Puerto Rico. I knew it was going to be a special place, but I didn't expect to fall in love with it so urgently. The city's charm is disarming, the kind that makes you look around for apartments to rent because you can't possibly imagine leaving.

San Juan was founded by Spanish colonists in 1521 - this history is apparent in the main part of the city by the picturesque colonial buildings and the narrow cobblestone streets that with age have turned a magical gunmetal blue.

The colors surrounding you in San Juan, the blues in the sky, the greens in the trees and plants, the yellows in the streets, are impossibly bright - and somehow the constant 88F temperatures and ever-present sun are never too hot. Everything just seems so perfect, including the inviting and friendly people, specially my friend's mom, the sweetest woman in the city, and our guide in this island of enchantment.

These are some of my pictures....



Cemetery on the ocean


Bright streets in San Juan


Atop the fort wall.


Plaza of birds.


Wild cats on the rocks near the fort.


Fort wall.








Mofongo, a traditional Puerto Rican dish.... so delicious.


The beach in Rincon, PR.


Learning to surf...

4 comments:

Liz Lizo said...

speechless!!!
the colors are amazing. Great city! great photography!

Ms. Spinach said...

it looks ah-may-zing! i'm moving it to the top of my vacation list...

Veronica said...

Wow, your pictures are great. I was actually considering traveling to Puerto Rico in May and I think I am sold now. Anywhere in particular you would suggest staying?

TPWP said...

I'm glad you like the pictures, it's even more beautiful in person. Veronica - I would love to stay in old San Juan, there are some really charming apartments on the top floors of townhouses that are rented out for short times. Or if you want to still be near San Juan but right on the beach, you can stay in Isla Verde (the Ritz Carlton there has a gorgeous pool), or in Condado (the Condado Plaza Hotel is also pretty). You also must go to Culebra, a small island off the coast of PR, the beaches are crystal clear and gorgeous. Let me know if you have any more questions!